Bat Basics Workshop & Live Bat Count
Join us at Allan Brooks Nature Centre for a one hour class on “Bat Basics” with our awesome Bat Ambassador, Alexis Olynyk! Learn more about what makes these nocturnal mammals so fascinating and why they are important to the ecosystem! After the 1 hour presentation, we will drive to a private location 30 minutes away for a formal Bat Count. Starting approximately around 9pm, we will be counting bats until it is too dark to do so (approximately 10pm).
**IMPORTANT** There is limited parking available for the bat count location and limited tickets available, so if you would like to attend, please ensure one member in your party registers for a “carpool pass” (intended for all parties to travel together to the Bat Count). All parties in the group can then purchase a “general admission” or “member” ticket – the Bat Count cost is included in the cost of the workshop.
Things to keep in mind:
- The bat count is weather dependent. If the weather does not meet certain criteria, we will reschedule this portion of the event to a different night.
- You will need to have your own vehicle to drive between the two locations.
- We encourage you to bring a light snack/ beverage to enjoy during the presentation. No alcohol is permitted.
- Pack your own lawn chair and blanket to get cozy while we wait for the bats.
- Children 12 and older are welcome! This is an exciting opportunity for them to participate in real research.
Bat Basics Workshop 7-8pm – General Admission
Bat Basics Workshop 7-8pm – Member Admission
Bat Count at 9pm (limited amount available) – Must also register for the Bat Count at [email protected]. Bat Count Carpool Registration HERE.
There are more bat counts in the future if this one fills up completely.