Check out some of our other Education Programs
Kokanee Salmon Outing
During mid-September to mid-October join us at Coldstream Park for a Kokanee Salmon Outing! Students will learn about the life cycle of the kokanee salmon, as well as the important role they play in the ecosystem.
This program is offered in partnership with the Kingfisher Interpretive Centre.
▶ Learn more about the Kokanee Salmon program here.
The Stream Science program is a water quality monitoring program for local high school students. Get your students out of the classroom and to a local stream to gain a better understanding of the streams overall health.
▶ Learn more about the Stream Science program here.
Field Trips at the Nature Centre
Have your students get hands-on with the natural environment at with a Field Trip at the Nature Centre! During your visit at Allan Brooks Nature Centre, your class will experience four engaging activity stations of your choosing in a 2.5 hour session of outdoor and/or indoor fun!
▶ Learn more about Field Trips at the Nature Centre here.
NATURE IN THE CLASSROOM
Allan Brooks Nature Centre now offers visits to your classroom from September through March. These programs have been designed to suit each grade level from pre-k to grade 7, are curriculum based and focus on the ecosystems and wildlife of the North Okanagan. Each consists of a presentation, an opportunity for students to see wildlife furs and bones, and participate in an activity (time allowing). The Pre-K and K-1 programs run approximately 45 minutes while programs for older students run 60 minutes.
Covid-19 Health and Safety Policies
- Presenter will perform a daily health check. They will not work if they have any symptoms of Covid-19 or are sick.
- Presenter will wear a face mask at all times.
- Presenter will follow proper handwashing, sanitizing and hygiene protocols. Hand sanitizer will be used before
touching classroom equipment.
- Presenter will sanitize surfaces before and after laying out props.
- Students will not be allowed to touch props/ natural materials due to the difficulty of sanitization between classes.
Materials that are required to be touched by students will be disinfected before next use.
- Staff will maintain physical distancing from students, when possible.
- ABNC will not visit a school that has a confirmed Covid-19 exposure, within 7 days of the exposure date. The
program will be rescheduled or cancelled.
- ABNC will return to a school 7 days after the exposure, provided that the Interior Health Authority has cleared the
school to have guests in the building.
- In the event of an outbreak in a school, ABNC will reschedule or cancel the program(s).
- If the school would like to rebook ABNC will need confirmation from the Interior Health Authority that the outbreak is over.
Standard Rate: $35 base fee + $75 per class/session
Out of City Limits Rate: $50 base fee + $75 per class/session
*Outside City of Vernon travel fees will be charged at $0.60/km
Nature in the Classroom Leaflet
Nature in the Classroom is Expanding Online!
We are currently working to create new online lessons to compliment our in-class presentations and help you deliver BC’s Science curriculum! In addition to the presentation, this package will give you access to our eLearning website with student centered lessons that will enrich your Nature in the Classroom experience.
NOW OFFERING: Online material for grade 4 classes
How it Works
1. Book your preferred Nature Education:
a) Online Material + Nature in the Classroom Presentation | $35 base fee + $145 materials/session fee
b) Online Material Only | $95
c) Nature Presentation Only | $35 base fee + $75 per session
2. Receive confirmation from our education team with any pertinent dates/login info.
3. Enjoy your locally-based Nature Education!
*3 month access to Online Material.
This New Bonus Materials Includes
- Ready-made Lessons
- A Printable Science Notebook for Students
- Review Cards: Digital and Printable Versions
- Integrated Indigenous Lessons
- Hands-on Activities
- 2 Summative Project Options for Assessment